Beach Theme / Island Ideas – Wedding Reception or Party
HOW TO PLAN YOUR BEACH THEME PARTY /WEDDING
A beach theme party or wedding is a great way to break the norm and create excitement. Tiki/totem poles… Cakes with goldfish bowls featuring live fish… Grass skirts. The possibilities are endless!
Below is a comprehensive list of music options, decorations, party ideas and other tidbits to make your beach theme wedding a splash with your guests!
BEACH THEME INVITATION IDEAS
How about wedding invitations sent as Sting would like… as, “A message in a bottles.” Get some cheap bottles with nasty corks. Get them anywhere you can find them. You can find them online, in an antique store, or in the grass down route 87. (If you do start looking out on the road, remember you need glass ones! Look out for the gator aid bottles that the truckers have disposed of.) If you still have no luck, just stop by the local dollar store. Fill the bottles up with invitations you print yourself on weathered-looking paper. Tear the edges, roll them up and put them in the bottles with a sprinkling of sand, tiny shells, or confetti.
You could also include a treasure map, with location information.
You don’t need to travel to bring the fun in the sun to your party. You can have your beach theme party at an actual beach, or capture the atmosphere without being seaside. Some other options are on a boat, at a marina, any venue with a view of the water – lake, river or sea, any venue with prominent fish tanks, especially tropical, a hotel’s swimming pool area, in a backyard by a pool.
BEACH PARTY DECORATION IDEAS
A row boat, treasure chest or a kiddie pool filled with beverages would be awesome! Also, if you have the money and connections an ice sculpture of a mermaid or some kind of fish/dolphin/ or whale would be pretty cool too. Get some seashells and sand to put out in or around your centerpieces. (Photo Credit mypartypassion.blogspot.com)
Inflatable or fake palm trees for an indoor location would also be cool, as would sculptures of sand castles, fishing boat decorations, miniature boats in bottles, and fishing nets. For tables, place sand chairs around covered with bold beach towels. If the party is outdoors, use tiki lights for that ultra groovy Gilligan’s Island feel, and maybe you will attract a Ginger or two! Wooo!
BEACH PARTY COSTUME SUPPLY TABLE
Let’s face it. Not everyone will come in costume, but many will wish they had AFTER they see how much fun people are having.
Put out a table with sunglasses, grass hula skirts, and flower leis, to get people in the spirit. You can get a lot of these things right at your local dollar store in bulk!
If you want to be really fancy, provide Gilligan & Skipper hats, as well as flip flops.
BEACH THEME WEDDING ATTIRE IDEAS
If your wedding going to be on an actual beach, and you are non-traditional and not afraid to break the norm, you might want to think about costumes. Because of the heat, you’ll want to go a little more on the casual side, anyhow so have fun with it!
Wedding – Let your groom be your captain in a sharp blue blazer, white pants and a captain’s hats. Your grooms men could dress as sailors, pirates, Hawaiian hula gear, or Gilligan’s Castaways. Or go with Hawaiian print shirts, muumuus and sarongs. The bride could also consider a sexy mermaid-style wedding dress.
WEDDING FAVOR IDEAS
If you are planning party favors, present your favors in plastic children’s beach pails. Some items you might want to put in the pails include: Beach ball (deflated) – Sun screen – Ocean print hand towel or washcloth – Sand dollars – Lifesavers candy – Cheap sunglasses – Seashell soaps – Natural sponge – Starfish – Shell encrusted candles -Beach Boys CD – “Beach Blanket Bingo” DVD – Plastic leis.
BEACH THEME ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES
Don’t forget to bring lots of Beach Balls, Hula Hoops, Surfboards, Limbo Sticks and maybe even “Twister!” with you!
CENTER PIECE IDEAS
Here are a few centerpiece ideas to help give you inspiration.
BEACH THEME SONG LIST
Planning a wedding or party next year with a beach theme? If you are then you already know you will have the Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet and reggae master Bob Marley requested to your DJ. Below are some more ideas…
1. “Rock Lobster” (The B-52s)
2. “Under the Sea” (from The Little Mermaid)
3. “Come Sail Away” (Styx)
4. “Tequila” (The Champs)
5. “I Love Beach Music” (The Embers)
6. “In the Navy” (Village People)
7. “Love Is the Seventh Wave” (Sting)
8. “Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)” (Enya)
9. “Private Beach Party” (Gregory Isaacs)
10. “Beyond The Sea” (Bobby Darin)
11. “Rockaway Beach” (The Ramones)
12. “Sailing” (Christopher Cross)
13. “Sea of Love” (The Honeydrippers)
14. “Sittin’ on The Dock of the Bay” (Otis Redding)
15. “The Beach” (New Order)
16. “The Ocean” (U2)
17. “The Tide Is High” (Blondie)
18. “Too Many Fish In The Sea” (The Marvelettes)
19. “Under the Boardwalk” (The Drifters)
20. “Ebb Tide” (Al Hibler)
21. “Underwater Love” (Faith No More)
22. “California Girls” (David Lee Roth or The Beach Boys)
23. “Wipeout” (The Surfaris, or The Fat Boys)
24. “Sea Cruise” (Huey Smith)
25. “Beach Baby” (Regents)
26. “Caribbean Queen” (Billy Ocean)
27. “Coconut” (Harry Nilsson)
28. “Escape (The Pina Colada Song)” (Rupert Holmes)
29. “La Isla Bonita” (Madonna)
30. “Walk on the Ocean” (Toad the Wet Sprocket)
31. “Margaritaville” (Jimmy Buffet)
32. “From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea” (The Cure) 33. “Vacation” (The Go-Gos)
34. “California Dreamin'” (The Mamas and the Papas)
35. “Going Back To Cali” (L.L. Cool J)
36. “Heatwave, (Love Is Like A)” (Martha Reeves & The Vandellas)
37. “Hot Fun in the Summertime” (Sly & the Family Stone)
38. “Hot Hot Hot” (Buster Poindexter)
39. “I Can See Clearly Now” (Johnny Nash or Jimmy Cliff)
40. “Miami” (Will Smith)
41. “The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades” (Timbuk 3)
42. “Walkin’ on Sunshine” (Katrina and the Waves)
43. “Surfing USA” (Beach Boys)
44. “Three Little Birds” Bob Marley
45. “I’m Yours” Jason Mraz
46. “Lazy Song” Bruno Mars
47. “SOmewhere Over The Rainbow” Israel Kamakawiwoʻole
48. “Limbo Rock” Chubby Checker
49. “Banana Boat SOng” Harry Bellefonte
50. “Toes” Zac Brown Band
BEACH THEME CUPCAKES
Want to drift away? Need some good music to start it all off with?
Here is another link to a video blog of a recent corporate event that DJ Kenny Casanova did at Beach Theme Party, where they poured tons of sand down and brought the beach to them! —> BEACH THEME VIDEO BLOG
Thanks again, and come sail away with me!
Albany Weddings DJ Kenny Casanova is an event disc jockey for "The DJ Service.com" out of Upstate, NY. He has been DJ’ing for over 15 years transitioned out of sports announcing into becoming one of the best Wedding DJs in his area.
Winning awards and "BEST OF" titles from Capital Region Living Magazine and Metroland, DJ Kenny Casanova is well sought-after and is booked solid with a few gigs every weekend. For booking information, call 518-506-3305.
Visit www.theDJservice.comDJ Kenny Casanova for more information about how to keep everyone happy at a wedding reception.